Requests for course transfer credit must be made along with the Application for Admission so that an appropriate Degree Plan can be developed and accepted by the student.  Requests by the student for consideration of additional transfer credit can be made at any time prior to Graduation provided the maximum number of transfer credits permissible has not already been accepted by the University. Review of transfer credit requests after the initial evaluation may require a re-evaluation fee. The School Dean or designee must approve all requests for transfer credit. Transfer courses are evaluated for currency, relevancy to Northcentral University degree programs, and whether they meet Northcentral University's academic standards. Evaluators will document which courses are accepted in transfer and which Northcentral University requirements the course satisfies. The number of semester credit hours that will be accepted in transfer is documented in the Acceptance Letter. If quarter credit hours have been earned for a course to be accepted as satisfying an Northcentral University requirement, they are converted to semester credit hours by multiplying them by 2/3 and rounding up to the next whole credit.

All credit hours to be considered for transfer into a Northcentral University academic program must:have been completed at a regionally or nationally accredited academic institution;relate to the program and degree pursued and must be equivalent to the degree program requirements, including specified electives; and appear on an official transcript from the institution where they were earned.

Credits from Foreign Institutions

Northcentral University may accept transfer credits if an official course-by-course evaluation from a Northcentral-approved credential evaluation agency is supplied. A current list of Northcentral-approved credential evaluation agencies is posted on Northcentral University's public website.


The School Dean or designee uses the following criteria to evaluate proposed transfer credits at the undergraduate level:

Credit for Examinations - For the award of undergraduate academic credit, Northcentral University will accept the minimum scores recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) on all exams offered by:

In addition, the University will accept the amount of academic credit and the academic level recommended by ACE for a passing score on each of the exams with the exception of Composition exams. A minimum score of 65 is required for the acceptance of a CLEP composition exam for transfer credit. Northcentral University has sole discretion in determining which and how many of these credits will be accepted toward degree requirements. Credit is not given where (1) it duplicates credit previously earned at or accepted in transfer by Northcentral University or (2) it is more elementary than a course for which the applicant has already received credit.

Master's Programs

The School Dean or designee uses the following criteria to evaluate proposed transfer credits at the graduate level; exceptions may be made at the Dean’s discretion:

Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS) Programs

Transfer credits are not accepted to Northcentral University CAGS programs.

Doctoral Programs

The School Dean or designee uses the following criteria to evaluate transfer credits at the doctoral level:

Credits earned at Northcentral University have the same time limits stated above for migration and application to current programs and degree plans, based on the date the corresponding course grade was posted.

Prior Learning Credits

Prior Learning Credit is credit that students are given for learning that has taken place outside of a traditional academic environment.  The experience must match the learning experience provided in a university course. This could include on-the-job training, military service, seminars, hobbies, volunteer work in the community, independent study, and/or noncredit courses. The student must demonstrate how his/her prior learning experiences are equivalent to the selected University course through an evaluative process such as the design and development of a portfolio, taking college board tests, or ACE credit evaluations. To receive Prior Learning Credits in exchange for a course in an academic area of specialization, a student must:

For more information on earning course credits through prior learning, visit the LearningCounts.Org website at .

Transferring Credits Between Northcentral University Degree Programs

Undergraduate students in good academic standing, and who are in their final 30 credits of their degree program may enroll in up to 15 credits of Northcentral University Master’s level courses to satisfy undergraduate degree requirements. Students who earn a minimum of a B in a Master’s level course may satisfy up to 15 credits into their Northcentral University Master’s degree program. For external transfer students, the total number of credits transferrable into a Northcentral Master’s degree program is 15 credits, that may include a total of 6 external transfer credits and 9 internally transferred credits. The School Dean (or their designee) must verify that courses satisfy both degree requirements. 

Students that continue their graduate studies from Master’s to Doctoral are permitted to satisfy a maximum of 18 master’s or doctoral credits into their doctoral program based on the current program of study and with written verification from the School Dean (or their designee) that the courses meet requirements for both degrees.

The majority of the credits from the conferred Northcentral University EdS program may satisfy a maximum of 30 credits toward the Northcentral EdD. Students that migrate to the EdD, from the same specialization as the conferred EdS are required to complete research methods, comprehensive examination, and dissertation courses based on the current program requirements. Students that elect a specialization different than their conferred EdS are required to satisfy all EdD degree requirements.

For all degree programs, to participate in between degree program transfer credit, a student must: