Understanding the Process Approach
At NCU, academic writing is considered a process. The NCU process is the foundation of all communication within the NCU system. All written work, discussions, and coursework activities are graded for their merit in executing the NCU Writing Process. To chart what that process involves, let's look at the language within the NCU Rubric.
The NCU rubric defines an 'excellent' score on content, which constitutes 70% of the discussion and coursework activities grade, as "Learner demonstrates a well-developed focus, thorough points of development, and a logical pattern of organization of ideas and concepts." In that one sentence, the structure in which the ideas are presented is evaluated in terms of Focus, Development, and Organization.
The NCU Writing Terms, which are hot-linked within the NCU Rubric, define in detail the five categories of evaluation in the Rubric.
Following are benefits of NCU's Standardized Rubric, a rubric that evaluates the Learner's journey through the NCU Writing Process.
1. Mentors and Learners use the same vocabulary words to discuss writing through the 5-step process; communication becomes easier, as everyone is operating from the same definitions.
2. Learners compose through the 5-step process; communication between Learners becomes easier as everyone is operating from the same definitions.
3. Learners compose assignments through the 5-step process through which they will be graded by Mentors; the Learner enters the grading process with a focused and well-defined understanding of how completed work will be evaluated.
4. Learners journey through the 5-step writing process, addressing each step individually. There's no need to address, for example, commas, before reaching the Style stage of the process, as the first three categories of the process often bring major change. Why fix commas in a paragraph that may be omitted during the Development or Organization stage of the NCU Writing Process?
5. Learners journey through the 5-step process, focusing only on one category at a time; the writing process is streamlined and becomes easier to divide into manageable pieces which can be completed on a definitive schedule.
6. Learners journey through the 5-step process; experimenting with different tools in each stage of the process becomes easy to manage, offering Learners focused methods for learning what works and what doesn't work for the individual writing process.
7. Learners experiment on the journey through the 5-step process; learning how to organize research and writing for an academic career can be addressed quickly and thoroughly, building confidence and fluency in the Learner.
8. Learners use the journey through the 5-step process to chart an individual writing process; Learners are in control of all choices in the reading and writing involved in acquiring an education.
9. Learners use the NCU 5-step process to join the community of scholars who are working to add knowledge to the fields of Education, Business, and Psychology in a consistent and standard academic format.
10. Learners use the NCU 5-step process to navigate the tools of the Writing Program, all of which are designed to give Learners access to his or her own process.
The NCU Writing Center welcomes writers to these tools. Welcome to the journey of discovering one's own, individual writing process. Welcome to the Northcentral community of writers.